David serves as the Director of International Wealth Management, leading a team of advisors who work directly with clients to create and maintain a customized financial plan addressing all aspects of a healthy financial life including investments, tax planning, risk management, retirement, employee benefits and estate planning.
Prior to joining Creative Planning, David founded Thun Financial, a leading independent advisory firm serving Americans abroad and investors across the globe. Thun Financial was recognized as a Top 300 U.S. Registered Investment Advisor by the Financial Times for 2020*. David was ranked by Forbes as a Best-In-State Wealth Advisor in Wisconsin for 2020*, and he has also been a frequent contributor to the Wall Street Journal on U.S. expat financial planning topics. Prior to founding Thun Financial, David worked in international banking with major international firms in the United States, United Kingdom and Russia.
David earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science from the University of Wisconsin and a Master of Science degree in Political Science from Columbia University. He is also a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ as designated by the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards.
David resides in Madison with his wife and three sons.
*See all Creative Planning disclosures and sources.
- American Expats’ Tax Nightmare, Wall Street Journal Op-Ed
- Tax Traps & Retirement Planning Opportunities for American Entrepreneurs Abroad
- Why U.S. Expats Should Never Own Foreign Mutual Funds: Ask an Expert
- Expat in the U.S.? Tips for Avoiding Tax and Investment Stumbles
- Ask an Expert: 4 Foreign Currency Investing & Savings Tips for Expats
- Ask An Expert: How to Handle the Foreign Pension Limbo
- Hey American Abroad, Do You Really Want to Make that Pension Contribution?
- Ask an Expert: 5 Tips for Expats Investing in IRAs & Roth IRAs