Preparing You for a Smooth Tax Season
As the year draws to a close, it’s never too early to start thinking about the 2021 tax filing season (even though you may be reluctant to). There are several tax preparation items that I would like to bring to your attention as you begin to assemble your tax materials. Understanding the information outlined in this article can help simplify the filing of your 2021 tax return(s). Your team at Creative Planning is here to assist you if you have questions or need help with these items.
- Your account custodian (e.g., TD Ameritrade or Charles Schwab) will mail initial 1099s by the end of February 2022. If you have elected to receive paper copies of these documents, you should receive your statements shortly after the 1099s are released. The documents will also be available for download via your custodian’s website.
- TD Ameritrade: Click “My Account,” then “Tax Center.”
- Charles Schwab: Go to “Statements,” select an account and specify a date range, then use the Document Type filter to select “Tax Forms.”
- Fidelity: Click “Statements” tab, there will be a link for tax forms. The number of forms you can expect to receive is listed, as well as the estimated timeframe for each.
- Your 1099 information can be downloaded directly into Turbo Tax if you’re preparing your own returns. The details for downloading this information are outlined within TurboTax itself.
- It’s possible you will receive a corrected 1099 after getting your initial form in February. This is not due to an error on your custodian’s part; there are numerous reasons why a corrected form needs to be issued. I suggest preparing your return, but not filing until late-March or early-April. This way, you’ll be able to more easily update any data should you receive a corrected 1099 from your custodian.
Realized Gain/Loss Reports
- All proceeds from stock sales and the basis information that is on file will be included on the 1099 that you receive from your custodian.
- Our operations team can also generate a realized gain/loss report that you may find easier to use and that can also help identify basis that may be missing on your 1099.
- Please contact your Wealth Manager if either you or your tax preparer would like to receive this additional report.
Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs)
- If you hold any Master Limited Partnerships in your portfolio, you will receive a K-1 for each position held during the year. The income on the K-1 needs to be included on your tax return. K-1s are typically available around March 15th.
- You will receive a paper copy of your K-1, but you can also access your K-1s electronically by creating an account at www.taxpackagesupport.com.
- Some of the K-1s can be directly imported into TurboTax. Instructions for doing so are available within TurboTax.
Tax Filing and IRA Contribution Deadlines
- Your Federal individual income tax return is due April 18, 2022. If you cannot file your return by that date, you may request a six-month extension from the IRS. However, this is only an extension of time to file your completed return, not an extension of time to pay your taxes. If you have amounts that are due with your 2021 tax return, they must be paid by April 18th with your extension to avoid penalties and interest.
- Contributions to traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, and SIMPLE IRAs can be made up to April 18th for the 2021 tax year. Contributions to SEP plans may be made up to April 18th (or October 15th if you extend your tax return). I suggest you speak with your Wealth Manager by the end of March to ensure contributions can be addressed in a timely manner.
- Other tax form due dates are as follows:
- Form 1065 for a partnership or LLC is due March 15, 2022
- Form 1120S for S Corporations is due March 15, 2022
- Form 1041 for Trusts and Estates is due April 18, 2022
- Form 1120 for C Corporations is due April 18, 2022
- FinCEN 114-FBAR is due April 18, 2022
If you have engaged Creative Planning Tax to prepare your income tax returns, we will gather all Form 1099s and gain/loss reports from managed accounts, Master Limited Partnership K-1s, as well as other relevant activity in your managed accounts for you. You will be receiving your Tax Organizer in January 2022 to help you gather your other tax information.
Creative Planning is here to make this process as smooth as possible for you. Please do not hesitate to contact your Wealth Manager if you have any questions or need help gathering your tax documents.